Divorce With Respect

Did your ex-spouse stop paying child support?

On Behalf of | Mar 17, 2022 | Child Support |

Regardless of the amount of legal custody each person has, both parents are financially responsible for the financial upbringing of their children. Following a divorce, you may experience financial difficulties. This issue is especially prevalent if you are the parent with primary custody.

Child support amounts may be a necessity for the health and well-being of your children. So, what do you do if your ex-spouse stops sending payments?

Enforcing child support in California

Court-ordered support payments are a legally binding obligation. If a parent who can pay child support fails to do so, it can have severe consequences. File a motion to hold your ex-partner in contempt. A judge may impose fines or a jail sentence in a civil contempt case. Often the parent can secure a release from jail by paying the past-due child support amount set by the court.

Securing the child support money owed to you

California has several ways to make sure your children have the financial assistance owed to them. A court may employ various methods, including:

  • Assigning a wage assignment to collect support directly from your ex-spouse’s paycheck
  • Seizing tax refunds or property tax credits
  • Filing liens against assets
  • Taking workers’ compensation payments
  • Revoking business licenses until your ex pays the past-due child support

Understanding your rights regarding support payments

Your ex-spouse cannot avoid paying child support by moving to another state. Federal law protects your family from situations like this. However, you cannot withhold visitation of your children due to missed payments.

Taking care of your family requires sufficient financial resources. You have the right to receive the child support amounts designated by the courts. When a parent stops making payments, you may need to take legal action.